Monday, March 14, 2011

Tell Me Again

I've been doing some deep thinking.  I need you to get into a serious, sympathetic, thoughtful mood if you're going to read this post, please.  I don't want any joking comments.  Because this is serious.
It begins with the 8.9 earthquake in Japan.  That disaster.  I don't know the number of people killed, but it's big.  I don't know what it's like.  I don't know what it's like to have to rebuild, to know you have to rebuild, and feel that deep despair.  I don't know what it's like to be on the other side of the world and not know if your family and friends are alive.  I don't know what it's like to be there.  To experience it.  But I can say... I offer my prayers.  I offer my sympathy and my love.  We're all humans on this Earth.
Next comes the Holocaust.  That horrible, horrible time where a deranged man tried to kill every Jew.  It wasn't right.  Anyone who lived... it was pure chance.  Pure luck.  But for the blonde-hair, blue-eyes Aerians, it was right.  But didn't they die, too, die at the hands of the Allies?  The Allies who dared to stand up.  And who won.  But people there, too, died.
Finally I shall talk about things that would fit in an "ex cetera" category.  I was reading an article about doctors making fatal mistakes.  It seems (in America at least) we're so focused on getting things done that we make mistakes.  And for people like doctors... you can't admit them.  Even the smallest things could end up with someone dead, and if it wasn't a life-or-death situation... it wouldn't matter.  And then there's things like alcohol and drugs.  We see them, we hear about them.  Getting drunk is a no-no... but people do it anyway.  I suppose they'd do a lot of things anyway.  Because these things come about, and happen.
And most of the time, it ends up with people killed.
Then there's things that aren't life-or-death, but are stupidity and ignorance.  Like the "zero-tolerance" policy causing a girl who was handed someone else's prescription, but then gave it back to have a five-day suspension.  To have a boy doing something for the people out there fighting for our country, but with his minute toy soldier's guns, to be suspended also.  To have a boy eating lunch with a multi-tasking toy be sent for 45 days to a rehabilitation school.  What's this telling our kids, us, me?  "I'll get in trouble if I do the right thing or do something innocent, so hell, might as well do it anyway."

So what am I getting at?  I'm getting at that humanity is ignored, mistakes are demonized, and that what's acceptable isn't.  Good and bad are the same, because of people's decision that they know best.  Even when they don't.
In the end... It's being good and forced to be bad.
In the end... It's luck to survive.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you think about these things and make decisions about what is right and wrong. You are so often - almost always - spot on. And for you, you are ALWAYS spot on because it's what you believe. I love that about you so much. Well, and I love you.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete