Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Philosophy Needs To Go Die in a Hole

RELATIVE ETHICS.

It is the shittiest concept ever and try as you might, you become unable to disprove it.  Certainly you can "disprove' an individual's relativity, inasmuch as "oh if an individual determines ethics than we don't need police!"
which can then be refuted with:
"well what if two ethics come in conflict with each other?  A third set of ethics can solve the problem or at least lean one way or another."
yeah.
(unbiased anything is a lie, so don't go there xD)

And then you get to cultural relativity.  Spartans in Ancient Greece believed that stealing was morally correct; an African tribe in these modern days still believes that stealing is a moral thing.
How in the world are you supposed to deal with that?

Absolutely there must be a higher power of which ethics come from.  I am inclined to say God (but as my teacher said, "what about an Islamic terrorist saying 'my God says to kill people'", which one is right?), my creative writing teacher might say the "universe", but either way there has to be an absolute of ethics.

Except.
There's no way to prove this.
Or any of it, really.

So ethics are therefore relative, you determine your moral compass, and I cannot mentally cope with this.  At all.

So right now I am depressed, wanting to die, and majorly anxious and stressed out to the point where I am shaking and struggling to focus on anything.

I hate philosophy class.  Despise it.
I should probably drop out.

No comments:

Post a Comment