Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Haven Bearers

Story time! x3

When I was a little girl, I always wanted to hold my mother's piece of the Haven.  She had two, and I thought her the luckiest woman in all the world.
Sure, the two pieces of Haven - volatile when together without their wholeness - scarred her hands, but she had two.  Two items of the precious object, the saving grace of Earth.
She would let me hold one precious piece for a few minutes every so often, before taking it.  I was eager for my sixteenth birthday when I would be an official holder of the Haven.

I did not understand until I took my oath what being a Haven Bearer truly meant.  It meant loyalty to the Haven Keepers, those wise high council members who monitored the Haven itself, waiting for when it would be time to combine the Haven pieces.  It meant a Haven Guard for me to one way marry.
I thought it meant other girls and women I could call 'sister', other Haven Bearers.  They called me 'traitor', something an ancestor a thousand years did or caused.  I never knew the details.

The scars on my mother's hands started to become my scars.  The Haven pieces hurt, I discovered when I held them.  I was one of five total girls who had two Haven pieces.  Like me, their fathers were the last of their Haven Bearer line.  Men were not allowed to hold the Haven.  Like me, they were called 'traitors' for something done long removed from them.

Once I turned sixteen and became a Haven Bearer officially, I could start sensing the other Bearers.  I used this ability to my advantage.

I snuck into the library forbidden to all but the highest two of the Haven Keepers, and there I looked and peered.
I was alone in my ability, as no other seemed to be able to sense Haven Bearers.  Otherwise, no-one would talk to me with my gloved hands; the scars or the gloves a sure sign of my traitor line and my two Haven pieces.

During my eighteenth year, the five of us with two Haven pieces were taken into a room with the Heaven Keepers.  We were informed that it was time to restore the Haven from its pieces.  So, willingly, we gave our pieces up.
The five of us, the five 'traitors', watched as others - the non-traitors - came and made the Haven: a round orb of light.
And then we were cast out.

I am the last of the Haven Bearers.  I am the only one who does not have healing scars.  For in the library, I read a book.  The Haven's true nature is not good; the Haven is meant to destroy Earth.  My planet and my home.
I bear the last small fractional piece of Haven, so small.  I broke the Haven piece, and it burns more terribly than two separate pieces.  I have broken every rule I had when I took the oath.

But I do not regret my duty.  I protect the Haven.  I took the oath when I turned sixteen, and it is an oath I will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment