Saturday, January 24, 2015

THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS: WE ARE COOL PEOPLE YO



This chick is a million miles of fabulous.  You need to check out her jawdropping music and absolutely gohorgeous videos.

and she's Mormon which just like makes her a thousand times better.

Imagine Dragons is awesome too

Yeah so 2/4 isn't bad.

As I regularly joke with my friends, every time I hear of another Mormon who's in a high position in politics or famous or someone they know that isn't me, Mormons are taking over the world.

It's a joke, kids.  And also kind of true.  I mean, true in a 'heeyyy more Mormons than every whoo!)

So getting that out of the way, let's talking about Mormonism.

I tried this a while ago, got a comment that hurt my feelings, and deleted the post.  Braver, stronger, 18 and almost a legal adult, here we go.

I'm getting another thing out of the way too.


(this video comes from Mormon Stories, which is all about supporting Mormonism, and all of these people - as far as I can tell - are still Mormon)


(*dies a laughing death* anyway this was amusing, sweet, and actually helped me garner more understanding so you know THAT'S GOOD)

Additionally I fully embrace homosexuals loving whoever they want.  Anyone who knows me can tell you I absolutely freaking adore my cousin and his partner.  They are ninety million levels of adorable.
Okay.  Good.  I've gotten that out of the way.

And because I'm lazy, here's another beautiful video that explains the role of women in the church:
Adding onto this video, women cannot act in the name of God but they can still call upon His name to help her and her family.  How do you think single women function?  A prayer can do wonders, but using His voice is also wonderful.  Plus, women actually do a lot more service than men - of course they'd need a way to catch up to us ;3  Kidding, kidding.  Kind of ish.  I don't know that takes more explanation than I am willing to do xD

Next thing to explain (which does not have a handy dandy video wah): racism in the church.
Way back when Joseph Smith first started things there was a black priesthood holder.  Yup.  Now, after that, this was quickly changed.
Let's get the lowdown of the times: this was either recently after the Civil War or even before (heaven knows I'm terrible with dates.  It was in the 1800's okay? XD  Utah was a part of Mexico at the time).  Racism was prominent.
Most churches were separated, but Mormons had blacks in their church.  They prevented blacks from having the priesthood because they were already being prosecuted.  If they allowed blacks to have the priesthood, it would worsen the prosecution.
To tell you how bad it was... Joseph Smith was in jail for having committed the crime of, basically, creating a religion.  A mob managed to break in this jail, despite people protecting it, and killed him.  People chased Mormons away from wherever they lived, blaming bad things on them.  Much like Jews through much of history.  HMM.
So of course the last thing we want is more persecution!
So in the 1970's, not long after the Civil Rights movement, blacks could be priesthood holders again.  There was still racism, and this whole time blacks joined the church and were not separated.  Many blacks were almost instantly given the priesthood.
AMAZING.

Finally, polygamy.  I turn once more to What Mormons Believe, because she gets the message across clearly and it's LESS TYPING FOR ME (also I watch these videos before posting them so you know :3):
('eyyy this taught me stuff I didn't know!)  An additional reason: women weren't treated equally, and it was a struggle to take care of themselves.  Lots of widows were married to men who had other wives because it was hard for them to take care of themselves.  With the only option to be a poor schoolteacher and struggles and woo!

And because I want to let you know that Mormons are amazing and we're kind, a conversation between myself and my friend:
me: OMG LINDSAY STERLING IS A FREAKING MORMON
friend: wut
me: MORMONS ARE EVERYWHERE WE ARE TAKING OVER THE EARTH xD
friend: OH S**T RUN AWAY
me: NAH MAN WE'LL JUST LOVE YOU TO DEATH GAY STRAIGHT LESBO MORMON CHRISTIAN ATHIEST PAGAN; YEAH NO... YOU'RE GETTING LOVED AND CASSEROLE'D TO DEATH

that isn't to say I haven't met a mean Mormon.  I have... once.  It was weird to find she was a Mormon and I still have trouble believing it even though I saw her walking into the church.

And, finally.

My testimony.  Because everything needs to be finished off with that.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I believe in the Bible and the Book of Mormon.  I know Jesus Christ is my Savior and He died for me on the cross.  I know that God loves me, and He loves all the readers of my blog, and all my friends and family, no matter what they look like or their personal beliefs.  I know that He has blessed me with a support system that can't be beat, and I know that my trials are to make me a stronger and better person.  I am grateful He has placed obstacles in my path, and I am grateful there are times when Jesus has carried me.
I'm so thankful that I am a "posterchild of unconditional acceptance" of everyone so that I may be an example and a friend to everyone who needs one.  I'm grateful that I have a chance to mimic His love for all of us on Earth.
I know the Church is true.  I know that good people go to heaven, even if they aren't necessarily Mormon.  I know that I have a place in the Celestial Kingdom as long as I follow Him, and I know He will guide me into the right path.
I say these words in the name of His son, Jesus Christ, amen.

Have a wonderful day, guys.  One last thought, from the same friend as above:
"I don't think I've ever expressed to you how grateful I am that you are so religious and yet so accepting and loving of bi/homo/whatever-sexuals".
Basically? Most Mormons in a nutshell.

Love you, even if you're a stranger <3

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Sweetie! It would have been a really long post if you'd gone into all the detail it would take to explain some issues - like blacks in the church (Elijah Abel was the 1st given Priesthood by Joseph Smith's dictate). But you did a great job! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeahh it would have been an epic novel xD

    ReplyDelete